To stimulate interest in erhu among young composers in Canada, Dim Sum Ensemble is inviting youths to compose a short solo work for erhu . No previous composition experience is required. Over several months, each selected work will be played by Dim Sum Ensemble and video recorded. Feedback will be provided in the form of an individual, written assessment.
Through the composition process, the young composers will benefit by introspection, challenging themselves, developing confidence in self-expression, and valuing the creative works of others. The written feedback by the performers will further facilitate the learning process.
- Maxime Daigneault (QC)
- C. Theodore Howe (ON)
- Kenny Kwan (ON)
- Lucas Oickle (BC)
- Open to anyone born in 1983 or after
- Currently residing in Canada
- Composition or part of a composition for unaccompanied erhu
- Must be an original composition and not an arrangement
- Up to 2 minutes in duration
- Score in staff notation submitted as PDF
- Maximum one composition per person
- Participation fee: $25
- Oct. 15, 2013: Expression of interest accepted
- Jan. 15, 2014: PDF score by e-mail due
- Feb. 1, 2014: Notification of acceptance and participation fee due
- Aug. 2014: Selected pieces recorded by Dim Sum Ensemble and uploaded to SoundCloud
How to apply
- Between Oct. 15, 2013 and Dec. 31, 2013, use the contact form to indicate your interest.
- E-mail us the score as PDF by Jan. 15, 2014.
- If the submission is of sufficient merit, we will give instructions on how to submit the participation fee.